Monday, August 8, 2011

Project Summer and Super 8 was bad.

I spent a fair amount of time working on a grant project this summer. I think, bit by bit, we're making good progress. This project takes me pretty far out of my comfort zone. We're turning Qatari oral folk tales into a series of comics and illustrated stories. There are 5 faculty members and 9 students working on this project. Two of the faculty teach English, one teaches linguistics, one teaches art, and one teaches graphic design. The students are mostly from graphic design, but we also have students from interior, fashion and painting and print making.

The project has forced me to learn about sequential art, it's giving me a chance to work closely with students outside the English classroom, and I'm learning a great deal about Qatari culture. All great things. Not being expert in all aspects of this project makes me anxious though, no doubt it has something to do with the undeniable fact that I'm a control freak.

Anyway, here are some images of work in progress/early drafts:




I'm still working on the negative recovery project. The latest batch of negatives I'm working with are from New York in the 1920's.

Here's a couple:



To balance all this visual work, I've been writing, writing, writing. Mostly poetry, but also an essay called "Facebook: The Tyranny of Knowing."

What else....  Oh, we watched Super 8 last night. It was 33.3% Goonies, 33.3% War of the Worlds, 33.3% Transformers, and 100% bad.




No comments:

Post a Comment