Sunday, July 10, 2011

Negative Recovery Project




I started a new project, just for fun. I've been buying old photo negatives on ebay. I figure ebay is probably the last stop before trashville for negatives, and I'm drawn to the idea of "saving" them.  In my own life there have been several major upheavals, and in each rupture things were lost, photos included. Perhaps that's part of why I'm drawn to collecting/saving negatives. Also, as I get older I find myself getting more nostalgic, so I'm drawn to the earlier eras captured in the negatives. I got my first batch today. There is something haunting about a negative and how it comes alive in the light.

My plan is to scan them and post some here, or on a dedicated tumblr page. I have other plans for them, but they haven't come into focus quite yet.

Who knows, maybe some of the negatives will even find their way back to the people who lost them.


I love how for black and white negatives, light and dark trade places:



1 comment:

  1. I have a Box of old negatives from the 50's and older. Would you be interested in them or maybe know someone who would be?
    You can message me at plifax@gmail.com
    Thanks!!
    Cilla

    ReplyDelete